History of the School
Camp School was founded when St Peter’s Rural School Board was set up in 1878 and from then on several local schools, including Camp School, were built. Camp School is the only one still in use as a school today. As the name implies it was a far less built up area then with much of the housing and the small parade of shops dating mainly from the period just prior to the First World War. As can be seen from the photos below, the original Victorian building still forms the core of the school today but the area around has changed immensely. The school now reflects the ethnic diversity and strengths of the neighbourhood and welcomes the rich variety of backgrounds the children bring with them.
Click here to read the entry for the Camp area and Camp School from the 1986 BBC Domesday project.